Kamado BBQ: A Quick Guide On Proper Care
If you are looking for a great way to cook food, the Kamado barbecue can be an excellent purchase. The Kamado is a unique cooking device that makes it possible to smoke, grill, and bake certain foods. Many people don’t know how to take care of the Kamado BBQ. Here are some tips to ensure your investment in this device is successful!
Essential Tips For Proper Care
While it’s true that the Kamado will cook food beautifully and is perfect for catering to a lot of different tastes, there are some essential things you need to remember when using it. With this in mind, here are some tips on how you can best care for the Kamado BBQ:
- Cleaning – As far as cleaning the device goes, it is essential not to use any harsh chemicals on the grill. Water and soft cloths are all that should be required.
- Convection Grilling – While most people think of grilling as having hot air or flames directly contacting your food, you can also get excellent results by cooking with convection heat instead. When appropriately used, convection heat can cook food better than direct heat.
- Convection Roasting – You can also use your barbecue for roasting in addition to grilling. This is an alternative to baking and will provide excellent results.
- Mineral Deposits – At times, mineral deposits may build up on the inside of the Kamado BBQ. If this happens, you have a couple of options: either use your dishwasher or put the device into a self-cleaning mode by placing lava rocks into the cooker and setting it to broil for 30 minutes.
- Charcoal Chimneys – One way to light your charcoal is with a charcoal chimney. This is a cheap, straightforward way to light your BBQ.
Extending The Life Of Your Kamado
Fortunately, you can extend the life of your Kamado barbecue by following a few simple rules:
- Do Not Cut Corners – One of the worst things you can do for your device is to cut corners. Every time you cut corners, you will notice that your investment will have a shorter lifespan.
- Do Not Overload The Coal Chamber – If you use coal to fire up the device, it’s important not to overload the chamber. Overloading this area will create a lot of runoff and cause smoke buildup and other issues that may result in damage to the device.
- Avoid Solutions That Will Damage The Gasket – There are a variety of solutions that claim to help you keep your gasket clean and working correctly. While these solutions will work, they may damage your gasket over time. If they do, you’ll have to replace it sooner.
- Avoid Using Open Flame – Many people will use an open flame to light their Kamado BBQ. However, this isn’t the safest way to fire up the device, so it’s best to avoid it. This is an excellent way to injure yourself by cooking your food too quickly or even burning your BBQ.
- Use The Right Fuel – When using charcoal or wood in the device, you must use the right kind of fuel. Most people only use briquettes, but they are not great for durability. You need to find a briquette with very little ash and maximum heat retention. Also, avoid using coals in your cooker when using a gas topping.
When you follow the tips you’ve been given in this piece, you should have a barbecue that lasts for years. While the Kamado isn’t cheap, it is a durable and versatile device worth the investment. Once you have made this decision, it’s time to take care of your device correctly!